Friday, May 23, 2014

Improv Echoed Hexagons





 I recently had the pleasure of testing a pattern for Rossie at Fresh Modern Quilts.  I had a blast making this quilt top.  I really enjoyed laying out the colors trying to figure out where to place different hexagons.  Her pattern tells you how to piece the inset hexagons without any Y seams.  It is up to you to determine the lay out.  This worked really well for me as I am always changing the pattern in front of me. Currently the pattern is available only at the Modern Quilt Guild to current and new members.  It is my understanding it will be available later in the year.

 Here is the first block I did.  I used Bella Grey for my background and my striped fabric is Michael Miller Free Style.  All of the other solids you see came from my stash.

I changed my layout several times and kept adding hexagons.  Once I was happy I began working on putting everything back together.
 
I took this picture behind the quilt because I just loved how all of the light was filtering in.  This weekend I am going to finish piecing the back.  I have figured out the design I want for the back,  I just need to execute my plan and hope it turns out how I have it pictured in my head.

I will then face my next fear - free motion quilting all of the negative space.  I hope to do several straight lines and echoing in it.  I am hoping I do not spend the next month ripping it out and I have made myself a promise that I will not do loops.  I may or may not need a lemon drop to begin the quilting process.  I promise to report back of my success or tell you about my "learning opportunity" 
I have finally finished my EPP pillow.  I am sending it off this weekend and I hope that my partner for the Modern She Made Swap enjoys it. 

I have also joined the Supernova Friendship Block Swap over at the Late Night QuilterOne Million Stitches I have teamed up with Jennifer who blogs at The Quilted Cat  We are going to be making our quilt with Denyse Schmidt's Ansona Fabric.  It is not too late to join - your first blocks are due on June 15th. 

Thanks for stopping by - I am linking up with Amanda for Finish it up Friday. 

2 comments:

  1. I love all the hexagons! Also, I've been eyeing that sheep fabric for a while (in your pillow), and I may need to actually purchase some soon...because I don't think I can resist for much longer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely great work! Makes me wonder why so many people are afraid of improv...

    ReplyDelete