Friday, April 25, 2014

It started out simple

My daughter wanted to take a class at my local quilt store - it was a class for cathedral windows.  She just turned 13 this week and while she is good at sewing but I was not sure she would have the patience for the class - she persisted in harassing me so we both signed up.  At the beginning of the class she was excited - an hour later when we were still pressing and folding she started shutting down.  It had too much prep work to keep her interested.  Below is the pillow I made in class.

After I made this pillow I really wanted to try something else. - I saw this pillow by Josh and Paise  I think it is absolutely amazing.  I wanted to see if I could make one similar.  The process was somewhat frustrating - I ripped out my first attempt as the proportions were off.

I wanted more pale yellow and less of the medium orange - I spent almost 2 hours carefully ripping out and redoing the center to move it all a quarter inch.  I have less of the medium orange, more of the bright orange and just a tad bit more of the pale yellow. IF I was to make this pillow again I would make more changes to my measurements..... However I am not in a hurry to make another one of these anytime soon. 

I used the Rosco Color Stack  the color is a little off in this picture - I was just so happy the sun was out.  I even got to spend some time on this chair over the weekend working on my EPP project. 

I used the left over fabric scraps to piece the back.  I saw a picture that Elizabeth Hartman posted on Instagram the other day and thought it would be fun to try.  I then did straight line quilting on the back.  I am having a hard time giving up this pillow. 

I have a friend who just moved away and I wanted to make her something for her new home.  She told me her new living room is going to be all cream and grey.  - The  joys of not having teenagers who destroy living areas.
Below is where my daughter left off on her pillow.  I am hoping I can get her to finish it soon.
She would be very angry if she knew I was posting a picture of her pillow top - she was not happy with her points.  I kept telling her to relax and enjoy the process - she looked at me and asked why I was always muttering/saying bad words and ripping things out.... I think it looks really good - of course I am biased

I only have one more pillow to make this week - at some point I thought it would be a good idea so EPP 120 hexagons together, then decided I wanted to inset the whole thing within a larger hexagon.  I had to order more fabric as I made a cutting error.  I hope to show pictures of that pillow soon.  I have reached the stage where I just want it done.

I am linking up with Amanda at Crazy Mom Quilts.  Thanks for stopping by and I hope you have a wonderful week.

7 comments:

  1. Wow! Those pillows are gorgeous! Especially that color block one!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All wonderful, but I love the neutral one. I hope your daughter does find motivation to finish hers. It might be something that sticks with her forever!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very Very cool!!!!! I have the Roscoe Dinnerware page of the C&B torn out and saved! Had no idea there was a "fabric stack"!!! No wonder your gorgeous pillow caught my eye!!! I have never made a Cathedral Windows, but when I do, a pillow will be my choice of project!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A very clever pillow effort.. your persistence has paid off nice line placement .. a square within a square within a window or two! NICE

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the pillows, and I especially love the buttons.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Too bad your daughter found the cathedral windows too frustrating and involved. Maybe she'll come back to it....

    Your secondary design inside the windows is brilliant! What a great effect!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These pillows are so brilliant. I would love to try something like this. What a great class!! Tell your daughter I would never in a million years have noticed any problem with her points. All I see is the gorgeous color and pattern!

    ReplyDelete